You're probably scrambling to get last-second gifts and stocking stuffers for your fam and friends or yourself. Or you just want to milk those holiday sales as much as possible as you stock up for 2019. Either way, we have your back. Here are practical tips to save money before the holidays end and the new semester starts.
Disclaimer: While these will be super tempting, we encourage you to think twice about the tradeoffs... as they say, the biggest savings come from not spending. 🙃
(1) Order discounted gifts and stuff from Target through Dec 22. 🎁
It's too late for free Christmas Eve delivery (ended on Dec 20), but the same crazy discounts are still available via in-store pickup through Dec 22!
(2) Get clothing & accessories right after Christmas. 👚
Prices will get even cheaper as stores offload holiday stock in clearance. For example, in 2017, Banana Republic and Kate Spade had their best extra discounts of the year.
(3) Buy discounted gift cards in Jan for up to 20% off—not now. 💰
(4) Load up at Bath & Body Work's Semi-Annual Sale + Victoria's Secret Semi-Annual Sale. 🛍
Bath & Body Work's sale starts Dec 26. It's their biggest sale of 2018—as much as 75% off! Victoria's Secret sale will likely start Dec 28. Get items up to 60-70% off! Don't go too crazy though... just saying.
(5) Buy fitness apparel and gear after Christmas and into Jan. 🏋️
Last year, REI slashed apparel and gear by up to 50%! Stores will offer their biggest discounts to tap into everyone's 2019 fitness resolutions. If you truly want to get fit in 2019 and start using your school's gym 😅, this could be a good commitment device and motivator.
(6) Get huge video game deals now and after Christmas—including from Steam's Winter sale (Dec 20-Jan 3). 🎮
50% of post-Christmas game deals last year were "Editors' Choice-worthy". On Steam, you can save up to 90% on games (esp. classics) and DLC (downloadable content). Their next sale is summer, so jump on this now. There are also other great deals, including from GameStop. (please don't forget to study though 🤓)
(7) Keep tabs on headphone deals after Christmas. 🎧
2017 saw some quality headphone discounts right after Christmas. New Year's Resolution: Experience music better in 2019?
(8) Stock up on your bubbly (champagne) before Dec ends. 🍾
For you bubbly lovers, competition drives down price of champagne in December. So (reasonably) load up on the drinks and save money on alcohol in 2019.
Brought to you by Pluto Money - the go-to money management app for college students, trusted & loved by thousands across 300+ campuses!